Firstly, Chef is open-source technology Adam Jacob, co-founder of Opscode recognised as the originator of Chef. This technology uses Ruby encoding to develop basic construction blocks like recipes and cookbooks. Chef is use for infrastructure automation and helps minimising manual and repeated tasks for infrastructure management.
Chef got its own law for different building blocks, which required to manage and automate infrastructure.
In conclusion, Chef is configuration management technology use to automate infrastructure provisioning. It is develop on the basis of Ruby DSL language. It is use to streamline the task of arrangement and managing the company’s server. we use Chef to deploy and maintain servers and applications in-house and on the cloud.
Features of Chef
- In other words, Chef uses popular Ruby language to create a domain-specific language.
- In addition, Chef does not make opinions on the current status of a node. It uses its tools to get the current status of machine.
- However, Chef is ideal for deploying and managing the cloud server, storage, and software.
Advantages of Chef
- In addition, Lower barrier for entry − As Chef use one Ruby language for configuration, it will quickly pick up some development experience.
- Moreover, Excellent integration with cloud − Using the knife utility, it will easily combined with any of the cloud technologies. It is the best tool for an organisation that wishes to distribute its infrastructure on multi-cloud environment.
Disadvantages of Chef
- Firstly, Only Chef solo is available.
- Moreover, It is not very easy to learn if the person is not familiar with Ruby.
Key Building Blocks of Chef
Therefore, It can be defined as a collection of properties which is use to manage the infrastructure. These attributes which are present in the recipe are used to change the existing state or setting a particular infrastructure node.It is the main workhorse of the cookbook.
Finally, Chef run takes place, it assures that the recipes present inside it gets a given support to the desired state as manifested in the recipe.
Moreover, It is the basic component of a recipe used to maintain the infrastructure with different kind of states. There can be many origins in a recipe, which will help in configuring and managing the infrastructure.
- package − Maintains the containers on a node
- service − Controls the attitudes on a node
- user − Checks the users on the node
- group − Runs groups
- template − Maintains the data including fixed Ruby template
- cookbook_file − Assigns those lists of the records subdirectory in the cookbook to each position toward that connection
- file − Executes specific contents from one folder on that node
- directory − Effects that records at that node
- execute − Performs any direction at each connection
- cron − Writes an current cron record at this junction
Similarly, It’s one subdirectory inside that cookbook that includes each inactive register which command hold set toward the joints that use the cookbooks.
At last, Template rows stop including the .ebr size, which suggests both include installed Ruby.
Moreover, Both happen essentially related to interchange a property contained within that records to produce that closing line report that order is stored at each connection.
Chef − Associated Technologies
Similarly, Puppet implements one conventional process about addressing including managing software, negative elements anywhere that works.
Therefore, This implies a programmed organizational engine toward Linux, Unix, and Windows systems that conducts organizational responsibilities based on the centralized designation.
- Moreover, Performing different methods including one costume arrangement.
- Modernizing these systems including improving this safety including software combinations.
- Customizing arrangements toward assuring the availability of data authorizations.
- Optimizing the available resources and reducing the cost.
- Interpreting the roles and allowing the team to focus on core and fertile problems.
- Accepting a bird’s eye view of the available infrastructure.
Similarly, Ansible is an entirely simple IT automation platform that makes your applications and systems more effortless to deploy. Avoid writing scripts or custom code to deploy and update your applications — automate in a language that approximates plain English, using SSH, with no agents to install on remote systems.
The primary features of Ansible are as follows −
- Manageable and effortless to learn
- Written in Python
- YAML-based Playbooks