Once a wise man said, “A product that cannot be tested is flawed”.It also applicable in software development as well, Let me re-figure it – “A software that cannot be tested is flawed”. The testing of software acts as an important role in every software development approach, it improves the quality and value of the software against the client. In an era of automation, I’m introducing you guys with Katalon Studio-Intelligent test automation tool. In this blog, we will learn about Katalon Studio – What is a katalon studio, Why should we use it and What makes Katalon Studio more powerful than any other Frameworks?
What is Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is a simple and powerful automation solution built for testers everywhere. Katalon Studio revolutionizes the use of open-source test automation frameworks such as Selenium and Appium by eliminating their technical complexities to allow developers and QAs to efficiently set up, create, run, report, and manage their automated tests. It also offers a viable alternative to commercial test automation solutions that are not affordable to many small and medium-sized teams.
It is a free and robust automation solution for API, Web, and Mobile testing. It integrates all necessary components with built-in keywords and project templates into a complete automation framework. Katalon Studio is easy to use for beginners but still offers advanced capabilities for experienced users. This solution is trusted by an active community of over 150K users from 150+ countries around the world.
Key-Features of Katalon Studio
- Simple Hassle-free deployment: A single, cohesive deployment package contains everything you need to deploy a powerful test automation tool
- Quick & easy set-up: Not only providing simple installation, but Katalon Studio also makes it is easy to set up the environment. testers can run their first test script quite quickly using its pre-built templates and test scripts, such as object repositories and keyword libraries.
- Better & Faster results: Built-in templates with clear tutorials help testers quickly build and run the automation test scripts. They can perform every single step with speed and efficiency, from project setup, test creation, execution, report generating, and maintenance.
- Flexible modes: New testers can use recording and keywords to build automation tests, while expert testers have a full IDE to build advanced scripts.
- Ease of use: It couldn’t be easier, even manual with minimum programming experience can also exploit its benefits with effortlessly.
- Multi-OS Applications: Katalon Studio supports multiple platforms: Windows 32 and 64 (7, 8, and 10) and OS X 10.5+.
Why choosing Katalon Studio over other open source frameworks?
- Katalon Studio hides all technical complexities behind the scene and provides friendly UI with the manual mode (user can drag-drop, select keywords and test objects to form test steps), but still keeps necessary weapons for more technically powerful users who are able to dig deeper into coding with the scripting mode that fully supports development conveniences like syntax highlighting, code suggestion and debugging
- With Selenium, users have to go through technical guidelines for their API and integrate them into with an IDE and a preferred programming language. By contrast, Katalon Studio is built as a unified bundle which includes almost all necessary things like Java, Android SDK, Web drivers to drive browsers, and required dependencies. All you have to do is to download and install it on your computer. Minimum installation is required
- While Selenium/Appium requires users to build common and reusable actions on their own, katalon Studio contains pre-defined sets of commonly used keywords or actions, users will find them enough to start implementing most test cases, but if they have more advanced or specific needs they still have a way to create custom keywords for their projects. Custom keywords are an extension of built-in keywords.
COMPARISON OF TOOLS
The table below provides a comparison of the tools based on the key features of software automation.
|Test development platform||Cross-platform||Cross-platform||Windows||Windows|
|Application under test||Web, Mobile apps, API/Web services||Web apps||Windows desktop, Web, Mobile apps, API/Web services||Windows desktop, Web, Mobile apps, API/Web services|
|Programming skills||Not required. Recommended for advanced test scripts||Advanced skills needed to integrate various tools||Not required. Recommended for advanced test scripts||Not required. Recommended for advanced test scripts|
|Ease of installation and use||Easy to set up and run||Require installing and integrating various tools||Easy to set up and run||Easy to set up and run|
|Script creation time||Quick||Slow||Quick||Quick|
|Object storage and maintenance||Built-in object repository, XPath, object re-identification||XPath, UI Maps||Built-in object repository, smart object detection, and correction||Built-in object repository, detecting common objects|
|Image-based testing||Built-in support||Require installing additional libraries||Built-in support, image-based object recognition||Built-in support|
|DevOps/ALM integrations||Many||No (require additional libraries)||Many||Many|
|Continuous integrations||Popular CI tools (e.g. Jenkins, TeamCity)||Various CI tools (e.g. Jenkins, Cruise Control)||Various CI tools (e.g. Jenkins, HP Quality Center)||Various CI tools (e.g. Jenkins, HP Quality Center)|
|Test Analytics||Katalon Analytics||No||No||No|
|Product support||Community, Business support service, Dedicated staff||Open source community||Dedicated staff, Community||Dedicated staff, Community|
|License type||Freeware||Open source (Apache 2.0)||Proprietary||Proprietary|
|Cost||Free||Free||License and maintenance fees||License and maintenance fees|
Katalon studio minimizes the efforts of automation teams and individual testers in setting up a new project. It is very easy for them to execute the test cases and monitor the executed results. Each workflow provides ample customization for extremely easy maintenance and project scale-up :
- Pre-defined structure of test artifacts such as test cases, test suites, test objects, reports and more helps testers reduce their time in defining and maintaining them later.
- Custom keywords facilitate the flexible integration of additional keywords to test the AUT efficiently, for categorical and involute testing purposes.
- Supports major testing needs: Web, Mobile, and API.
- Provision to execute multiple test suites at once with test suite accumulation.
- Permits effortless elongation of current CI flow with console mode execution. Executing a command line can be engendered efficiently utilizing ‘Generate Command Line for console mode’ feature.
- Monitor execution results seamlessly in Table or Tree view during/after execution.
- Detailed Test Suite reports can be generated that reduces the time taken to analyze results. The same can be exported in a different format such as CSV, PDF, HTML and stored for later use.
Record and Playback Feature on Mobile and Web
Isn’t it cool to record your mobile app actions and organize test objects with ease? With Selenium, this is not possible without utilizing third-party libraries. Katalon work-room is sharp enough to grasp net structure elements by making an adjustment to the test purpose properties with its built-in methods (Integrate/Abstract purpose Property) at run-time. Hold on!! Not just recording your actions performed on web applications, but with Katalon Studio, you can record your mobile app actions as well!
Installing and Setting up Katalon Studio
Download Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is available for free, supporting both Windows and Mac. Visit the Katalon Studio website to download the latest version.
First, you need to verify if your computer meets the System Requirements to automate using Katalon Studio.
For Web UI automation, no additional settings are needed except making sure the required browsers are installed. Check this list for all supported browsers.
Note: in case you are Windows users, you may want to disable the User Access Control (UAC) settings so that Katalon Studio can launch Chrome/Firefox browsers properly. Refer to this guide for steps to disable the UAC settings on different Windows.
For Mobile app automation, you need to install Node.js and Appium and enable the USB Debugging mode on your device. Please refer to the Installation Guide for more details.
- No licensing and maintenance fees required (if needed paid dedicated support services are available).
- For quick test cases creation and execution important to integrate necessary frameworks and features.
- Emerged on top of the Selenium framework but advanced programming skills which are required for selenium is not needed.
- Quickly growing community, which emerges with the right solution
- Only Java/Groovy is supported as a scripting language