Liferay is Portlet technology which follows the JSR 168 and JSR 286 Complaints.
Liferay is very good to open source for portlet technology have a very good working group and community.
Portlet technology is similar to servlet technology but portlet is a small part of dynamic content on the web page.
In a normal web application when we send a request the server serves the response to the client or browser. Here entire page will be served by one response.
Coming to portlet technology in one web page there may be many portlets and each portlet have its own request and response.
Each portlet can send request and get the response from the server then the response belongs to only the portlet which sends the request.
We can say a portlet is a small fragment of dynamic content on the page. A page is an aggregation of multiple fragments of dynamic content and each dynamic fragment is managed by one portlet in the web page.
What is Liferay?
Liferay is an open-source Enterprise software development platform based on modern J2EE technology. It is a leading Portlet container used to create a standard, scalable, and enterprise web application.
This Portlet technology follows JSR 168 and JSR 286 complaints, including many portlets, and each portlet has its response and request.
It sends a request and gets a response from the server; then, the response belongs to the portal only that sends the request.
The Liferay portal includes a set of portlets and is used to build a web application and develop a new portlet application. It has a framework and standards to add new features and customize the existing portal.
Liferay has two types of portals.
1. Liferay Community Edition
Liferay Community Edition is an open-source portal and can get source code to add or customize the application. It includes an excellent working group and community people and allows users to contribute their work to the Liferay community.
2. Liferay Enterprise Edition
Liferay Enterprise Edition is a paid portal that has an enterprise permit from Liferay Inc. It includes several advantages over the Liferay Community Edition.
Why should businesses use Liferay?
Liferay is a dynamic and highly scalable platform where interactive websites and enterprise portals are created. Liferay DXP includes several functions called portlet that provide extensive support for various programming languages such as C++, .NET, Java, PHP, etc.
There are many reasons to consider using Liferay Portals in organizations.
- Liferay tool includes more than 60 portlets, and these portlets are available with the drag-and-deploy feature. The same portlet can be used for various websites by a single user.
- It can work using HTML5, CSS, XHTML, and a host of other design methods. It provides UI/UX compatibility with its drag-and-drop feature used to move different entities in the portlets.
- It offers unique workflow APIs for an excellent user experience and allows users to create and apply workflow with custom entities.
- Liferay is a Java-based platform, and it is easy to implement the application using different resources available in the market.
- It allows users to personalize the web portals and website pages and easily allows a robust Enterprise Content Management System to Add/Remove/Edit the content on websites and portals.
- It allows users to integrate with modern and existing technologies such as Spring, Hibernate, JBoss, and other such databases.
Features of Liferay
- Liferay is a programming interface for Java developers, and administrators can install the website without having technical knowledge.
- It provides extensive support for various platforms such as documents, files, bookmarks, web content, wiki pages, blogs, etc.
- The administrator or user can edit, add, and customize Liferay’s portlets’ attributes without modifying the company database.
- It offers a simplified User Interface for different users and allows users to use a single presentation layer for all businesses.
- It enables users to access the application by logging through the Secure Single Sign-On to integrate with different end-users systems.
- It provides a single-click configuration so that everyone can use the benefit of a fast User Interface.
- It offers a set of performance accessing tools to the administrator.
- It allows users the drag-and-drop feature to move various entities of portals.
- Liferay allows users to create the workflow as per the operational requirements and offers workflow APIs for a better user experience.
In the conclusion, Liferay has tools used in three environments, such as the command-line environment, which integrates with different tools, Easy-to-use Liferay IDE that reduces the learning curves, and the Maven environment is an adopted project management system. In this tutorial, we have learned the basic understanding of Liferay.
For more details you can visit the official website :
Welcome to Liferay.