Hello folks, in this blog we will check What is IoT and What is the Internet of thing testing?
Nowadays IoT is a trending word and we all come across this word often. The full form of IoT is the “Internet of Thing”. We are encountering numerous IoT applications these days. The concern every time raises What is the Internet of thing testing? IoT devices exchange a large amount of data among themselves. The future is all about smart devices and cloud network products. To walk hand in hand with the latest culture QA implies. As a result, there is a need of advance testing platforms for IoT devices. Let us check What is the Internet of thing testing?
Some predictions of IoT
- As predicted the number of connected devices will be more than 25 billion by end of 2021 when compared to the figure of just 6.4 billion during 2016
- Secondly, It is fortuned that there will be a need for an effective IoT testing strategy
- Therefore, According to GlobeNewswire – the IoT testing market value is expected to grow up to USD 3624.23 billion by 2025.
What are the types of IoT testing?
There are a few major testing types that play an important part in IoT testing. They are:
- Functional Testing – Functional testing is the heart of testing. This ensures that the end-user should not encounter any difficulty while using the application.
- Security Testing – As there is a large amount of data exchange between devices. Security is the most important concern. Hence, this makes security testing as an integral part of IoT testing. Security testing ensures the detection of vulnerabilities and checks no access to others’ personal data.
- Performance Testing – As we have discussed IoT deals with a large volume of data. Here performance also plays an important role. Performance testing comes into the picture. Performance testing ensures no application crashes and high performance of the applications
- Usability Testing – As we all are aware that there is a variety of smart devices with a lot of versions. Usability testing ensures that the application is compatible and working fine on all types of devices. Hence, the user should get best out of every device.
- Compatibility Testing – Devices are interconnected. Compatibility becomes a major concern. Thus compatibility testing.
- Connectivity Testing – Here the components must be able to communicate with each other. IoT
What is the IoT testing process?
IoT testing process contains majorly following categories:
- Firstly, testing of functionality and compatibility
- Then, performance
- Security features
- Analytics functionality
- Automated as well as manual testing
What are IoT Testing Tools?
- Simulators – they act as a testing environment for many types of devices and support IoT protocols.
- Compatibility testing tools- There are some tools example ICAT, which ensure that the device and software versions are compatible.
- Security testing tools – Some of the testing tools are AWS IoT Device Defender
- Network Analyzer- Monitoring traffic is also important. Tool to test this is Tcpdump etc.
What are the challenges of IoT testing?
- IoT testing focuses on testing the hardware as well as the software components, this makes it more complex as we have to deal with both aspects.
- IoT devices are more complex, which makes it difficult to find bugs. This means there is always the risk of undetected bugs lurking within.
- Security is also a major concern. Users are trusting the applications and feeding their personal data. They don’t want to loose and share this data.
- As there are a variety of devices used and a variety of browsers. UI testing is also a major concern.