Today in this new era, customers demand superlative products. Hence to accomplish this continuous development, DevOps and continuous testing came into the picture. Organizations are moving to automation testing to accomplish their goal of efficiency. To achieve the best result with automation testing, one must follow the complete cycle of automation testing. Let’s check how to start automation testing
When to think of automation testing?
There are certain scenarios when we should think of automation testing. They are as follows:
- Whenever the same test cases execute many times in a cycle
- When there are too many test cases in a test suite
- When there is a need to run regression, smoke, sanity test cases
What are the stages of the automation testing cycle?
Determining the scope of test automation
This is the first stage of the automation cycle. Here we should aim at the feasibility of automation. Some of the points :
- The modules which need automation are how to start automation testing
- The test cases can undergo automation and how to perform
- Some of the factors like cost, team size, coding knowledge, etc
- Framework definition for automation testing
- AUT automation feasibility
Selecting the right testing tool for automation testing
Automation testing depends on the testing tool. Deciding the right match of the testing tool is important to factor. A few major points should be in mind while deciding upon the testing tool. Some of the points are:
- Intuitiveness, flexibility
- Technologies using in the project
- Familiarity of the tool with resources
- A support team who can take care of the queries that arise during the development of automated test cases
Test Plan, Design, and strategy–
- This is the very integral part of the cycle. This defines the approach and accomplishes the goal of test automation. Firstly, understanding the product is very important before coming to a conclusion about a testing tool. Hence, determines a preliminary testing schedule. The data requirements for the test, and the error tracking system. The test management strategy is:
- Firstly, gather all the manual test cases from the test management tools like test rail, test link, etc.
- Secondly, check which test cases need automation
- Therefore, the pros and cons of the testing tool identify for the test along with the framework
- Henceforth, build a test suite for the Automation test case in the tool for test management.
- finally, seek approval on test strategy from clients
- A test suite for the automation test case is built into the tool for test management
Setting up test environment–
The testing team needs to track and schedule the test environment and set up and install test environment software. The important area while setting up are:
- Testing should be done across numerous client operating systems
- Set up a staging environment such as in an isolated database server
- A checklist of all models, systems, and applications needs to be made for the test.
- All AUT credentials and accesses.
- A staging environment for software testing
Developing the test script execution–
Once we install the test environment, it is time to execute the test script. It is essential to ensure that all test scripts are running correctly. Keep in mind the following points:
- A test script should include all functional aspects according to the test case.
- Ensure to run test scripts in multiple environments and across multiple platforms.
- If possible, batch execution can be done to save time and effort.
- A bug report should be written for failure cases.
- All documentation should also be prepared during this phase.
- Test Scripts must be executed in batches to save time and resources.
Test Analysis and generation of test results and reports-
After all types of testing performance, the testing team analyzes to identify particular functionality or components that experience a relative number of problem reports. Analysis indicates any requirements for additional tests or procedures. This is the end phase of the automation testing life cycle and all test reports shared are with clients or stakeholders at this stage.
Automating testing is an effective way to meet the testing goals within the appropriate timelines and with adequate resources. The automation testing cycle implementation is to achieve the best results.